Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ginger Ale Kit Kat

I'm a little late to the game reviewing this Kit Kat. It's been out for quite awhile already but I think I've figured out that the conbini across the street from my apartment only sells every other limited edition Kit Kat. So right now they are still trying to finish off the Kinako Ohagi Kit Kat inventory and they only just got rid of all the Mango Pudding Kit Kats. This means that I'm going to have to be more diligent about getting to the "big" city and making sure I get the latest Kit Kats. Such are the disadvantages of living out in the cabbage fields of Japan. (There are advantages - free veggies from my farmer friends for one.)

The Ginger Ale Kit Kat definitely lives up to its name. Whether or not you're a fan of Ginger Ale will probably determine how much you like this one. Each bar (2 fingers) is 100 calories and there are two bars in each box. These are once again white chocolate and have a slightly yellowish color to them. Somehow they manage to both smell lemony and like ginger ale. The package has a picture of ginger ale with a slice of lemon in it. I don't really drink ginger ale but I've never seen it with lemon before? Do people drink it that way?

Taste-wise it was an interesting experience. There was a strong lemon taste but it didn't override the ginger ale taste that was definitely there. The box advertises soda powder in the wafers and the photo on the front certainly highlights the carbonation in the ginger ale, but it failed to really deliver on that aspect. There was a very slight hint of a fizz but it was less of the bubbly sensation you get with pop and instead was just an odd sour note in a mix of other strange tastes. I suppose if you like ginger ale then you might like this Kit Kat but for me it was a snacking failure, especially since it left a flat ginger ale taste in my mouth for almost 30 minutes afterwards.




Final Score: 4

5 comments:

  1. My husband drinks ginger ale, lemon and rum. I personally like to squeeze orange juice into mine and put a slice of orange in it.

    Of course, I was no fan of this KitKat despite liking ginger ale and citrus mixes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I lived in japan! All these kit kats sound good!

    Best regards from iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received my ginger ale one last week- like you i was surprised the overriding flavour was citrus than ginger ale but i found that instead of just munching on it, and sort of allowing the coating to dissolve in my mouth i really got the ginger beer flavour through.

    I would definately eat it again though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin - yes, but you like disgusting things like Ale 8 so your opinion can't really be trusted. If you get lucky though you might get a chance to try this one.

    Orchid64 - so people do drink it with citrus, good to know. But yeah, I agree not so great either way.

    Ellie - I don't really like ginger beer to start with though so I'm not sure this Kit Kat really stood a chance.

    Iowa - you can always order online!

    Thanks everyone for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete