Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Citrus Blend Kit Kat - Shikoku Limited Edition

We have these convenient stores in Ohio called United Dairy Farmers (or UDF for short) that also have ice cream counters that sell UDF brand ice cream and a variety of malts and shakes. My favorite is the Orange Freeze - orange sherbet and orange juice. It's also the reason why I tend to gain 5 pounds whenever I go back to the States. I used to make a similar version in my college cafeteria with orange sherbet, orange juice, and a little bit of Sprite. It's a great summer treat - cold, sweet, and refreshing.

So why am I waxing nostalgic for UDF Orange Freezes? Well, if you put one of the Citrus Blend Kit Kats in the freezer and then ate it then you would have an Orange Freeze in Kit Kat form. I didn't expect to like these as much as I did, but eating one (or 3) made me really wish they had UDFs in Japan.


The Citrus Blend Kit Kat is a regional limited edition from Shikoku. Although I have been traveling around quite a bit lately, I still haven't made it to Shikoku but lucky for me this was offered online at the Nestle E-shop. For 840 yen I received a box of 12 mini Kit Kats. They are made with white chocolate and are colored a bright bright orange despite the fact that they are flavored not only with orange but with lemon and lime. Each mini is 69 calories. They have a generic citrus smell to them and the chocolate itself only has a very mild orange-y flavor. Most of the punch comes in the creme and the wafers. The orange flavor is not authentic but it's not bad either. Although orange is the dominant flavor, it remains true to its name and lemon and lime are mingled in there as well. They mix well in your mouth and then it ends on a sour note that is very refreshing in its own way.




I'm still not a huge fan of the citrus-y flavored Kit Kats but if I had to choose my favorite of the bunch then this would definitely be it. I've said this before but I seem to like the citrus with white chocolate over the milk chocolate. I think the sourness of the citrus blends better with the sweetness of the white chocolate. So even though I won't tear through this box of Kit Kat minis but I don't think I will have trouble finishing them off eventually. I'd rather have an orange freeze though...

Final Score: 7

4 comments:

  1. Jen, a great blog -- I stumbled onto it when I was looking for comments about Wasabi Kit Kats.


    But I have a question for you: apart from ordering online, where do you find the different Kit Kats? I check many variety stores each time I'm in Tokyo but I have not seen nearly as many choices as you have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog jen!

    how did you get the opportunity to teach in japan? I'd love to do that! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen,
    Kate Bailey here (from G'town College back in the day. Love the blog, and Japan sounds amazing! I'm going to check out the Japanese festival here in DC next weekend, and I'm hoping they have some crazy KitKats--some of these flavors sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sorry to take so long to respond but I've been in China and I couldn't get to blogger. Thanks everyone for reading and commenting!

    TomTom_Tom - I check conbinis in my small town and in Toyohashi. Ones near train stations seem to get more traffic and therefore more Kit Kat choices, but they come and go. Most varieties are only offered for a few months before they disappear off the shelves. I'm having trouble finding the Semi-sweet Kit Kat right now because my conbini only has Banana and Sakura Matcha right now. I also look out for regional limited editions when I travel which are usually sold anywhere they sell omiyage. Good luck! The hunt is half the fun!

    Jason W. - Hi! I'm here teaching English because where I went to college has a sister city relationship with my city in Japan and they always get graduates of the college to teach here. But there are plenty of other options out there if you didn't go to Georgetown College. Try altia.com, interac, or the JET program if you are interested in being an ALT.

    Kate - Hi! How are you these days? Let me know if you find anything interesting. I love to hear what other people think about the different flavors.

    ReplyDelete