Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Apple Kit Kat - Shinshu Limited Edition

Recently I went back online to the Nestle E-shop and picked up some more regional special editions - this time from Shinshu. I should note that there are a lot more regional special editions out there that are NOT offered anywhere online. The only way I am going to get them is to get off this peninsula and buy them wherever they are offered locally. So Sendai and Nagano have suddenly made my list of places in Japan I want to see so I can pick up the Sakura Kit Kat, Zunda Kit Kat, and what I can only determine is another spicy Kit Kat.


But until I make more travel plans then I will make do with the ones I can find online, starting with the Apple Kit Kat. This one comes from Shinshu, which after some very superficial internet research I learned is the old name for the mountainous region in Nagano. The regional special edition Kit Kats come in a box of 12 which looks very nice opened and plays very well into the Japanese idea of omiyage or bringing food back to the office for those poor suckers who had to stay behind and work. They tend to try to take the region's specialty food (and every town has one even my small town has its special omiyage - clam flavored rice crackers) and turn it into a Kit Kat flavor.



Nagano is known for apples and so it makes perfect sense that their regional special edition Kit Kat would be apple flavored. The Apple Kit Kat is made with milk chocolate and has 66 calories. I was already inclined to like it because of the milk chocolate but the subtle apple flavoring made this a truly enjoyable snack. Both the smell and the flavor are mellow and mix well with the chocolate. The apple taste is similar to that of the Apple Vinegar Kit Kat but without the sour note on the end. Since these are made with milk chocolate rather than white the sour end note isn't really needed. The taste is somewhat artificial but of all the different fruity varieties I have tried it comes the closest to the real taste of an apple. If you are a true apple aficionado then you might prefer the Apple Vinegar since the apple flavor shines through more with that bar but for me I prefer this more subtle milk chocolate version.

Final Score: 7.5


Check out the list of Regional Special Edition Kit Kat varieties here!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh yum, I had this one and the zunda kit kat and I loved them both, the zunda kit kat rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in shock right now! I love KitKats and had no clue there were so many varieties! I'm definitely doing some back-reading on this blog and will follow faithfully!

    Thanks to Stumble Upon...

    Check me out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this article you might find interesting....orangutans or kit kats...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy. If I ever find them, I'll be sure to try them. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasty Japan - I really really want to try the Zunda Kit Kat but I can't find it anywhere online. I'm going to have to make a trip to Sendai to get it I think. :-(

    Semico6 - interesting blog. I love Dave Ramsey! I've been debt free since September so now I have more money for Kit Kats. ;-)

    Amanda - you can try ordering them online but I don't know if Rakuten ships outside of Japan. Let me know if you try them!

    Thanks everyone for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I'm Romi from Indonesia.

    Do you have any recommendation for buying kit kat japan in a bulk quantity?
    We need around 100pc each flavor and continuously each month.
    Please advice me on melenengok@yahoo.com
    I wait for your good news.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete